Do you struggle with feeling good about your body? Do you wish you felt more confident? Then our body positivity classes are for you!
What is body positivity?
Body positivity is about accepting and embracing your body as the wonderfully unique being it is. It is about helping people to feel comfortable with their body and finding lasting and enjoyable ways to care for it.
Body positivity fights against the assumption that only bodies which fit the current societal ideal are “beautiful” and worthy of love and care.
Our culture perpetuates the anti-fat myths that keep people depressed and at war with their own bodies: a war where little battles might be won in the short term with a diet, but then lost overall because those who turn to dieting can rarely maintain long term the look that is the accepted norm—one that is not necessarily the best weight for them.
– Excerpt from Body Respect by Linda Bacon & Lucy Aphramor
Who are the body positivity classes suitable for?
Our classes are open to women aged 18 years and over who experience low body esteem. This could include any of the following:
- Having unkind thoughts when looking at yourself in the mirror
- Wishful thinking regarding your body eg. “I wish I was thinner”
- Obsessively focussing on certain body parts that you dislike
- Avoiding socialising because of the way you look
- Avoiding physical intimacy due to insecurity about your body image
- Feeling like you have to wear loose fitting clothes to hide your body
- Feeling like you have to ‘suck in’ your stomach when out in public
- Not allowing your photo to be taken or constantly untagging yourself from photos on social media
- Not wearing certain types of clothing because they expose parts of your body eg. sleeveless shirts
- Constantly trying weight loss diets, meal plans and exercise regimens
What do our body positivity classes offer?
Our body positivity classes offer you the opportunity to connect with other women who share the same body esteem issues. Together with the class facilitator, you will work through concepts such as:
- Understanding the factors which contribute to low body esteem
- Exploring when you first started to struggle with body image, and the effect this had on your wellbeing
- Making sense of how your thoughts and feelings about your body contribute to your behaviours
- Understanding the factors which can trigger episodes of body negativity
- Shifting the focus from weight to wellness
Each class runs once a week for five weeks. We allow a maximum of 10 women per class, so register quickly to avoid missing out.
Fee: $145.00 per person (for 5-week class)
Registrations are now open for the next class!
Tuesday 10th, 17th, 24th Nov & 1st, 8th Dec 2015
Time: 7 – 8pm
Venue: Meeting room at Hillman Hall
To book your place:
- Enter a coupon code (if applicable)
- Click the Pay Now button to pay securely online using Paypal
- Once payment has gone through, click Return To Merchant and you will be redirected to the registration page
- Complete the form to register your details
If you’d prefer to pay over the phone using your credit card or pay by bank transfer, please contact us